extracts from scratch
Homemade extracts are a great way to showcase local flavors and yield a flavor that is unique. We like our extracts to have bold flavor without the harshness that can sometimes come from commercially processed extracts.
Mint extract is an easy way to preserve the fresh flavors of your garden for year-round minty freshness. Here is the basic recipe:
Homemade Mint Extract
1 part fresh mint
1.5 to 2 parts grain alcohol, 80 proof or higher
- Wash, towel dry and remove mint leaves from stems.
- Gently crunch fresh mint leaves to release oils. Leaves will appear darker green.
- Place mint in a clean, dry jar and cover with enough alcohol to cover mint leaves.
- Cover jar and shake! Label the jar with contents and date, and place in a cool, dark place.
- Allow mixture to steep for several weeks or up to 2 months. For a stronger extract, strain mint leaves and steep fresh mint leaves in the extracted vodka.
- When you've reached your desired strength, strain leaves and store extract in a fresh bottle, in a cool dark place. Enjoy!
We use our mint extract for a variety of confections. This season, we are most excited about dabbling with honey peppermint patties! Here are some that we made last year, custom for a wedding.
Stay tuned for more candy adventures, at Snowshoe Candy Co.